Looks can be deceiving. Trust me, this cake may not stun you visually, but it is simply delicious. The best thing is just how simple it is to cook.
A proud recipe from home that takes me back to childhood and lazy Sunday lunches in Pistoia, Tuscany. The apple flavouring is intense and complemented by a light sponge. Should you want to anglophile, serve with a dollop of hot or cold custard.
Bake this and your leave your guests wondering whether there is some Italian in your family 😉
- 1 kg of red apples
- 300g plain flour
- 200g sugar
- 16g baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 zest of lemon
- 100g melted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 190 degree C (375 degrees F).
- Butter and lightly flour two round pizza pans or a 9×13 lasagne pan.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl with sugar.
- Add plain flour, baking powder and mix.
- Melt butter in a pan and stir into the mixture.
- Add a zest of lemon and mix.
- Peel and chop apples into small pieces.
- Add the apples to the mixture and stir in.
- Add 3-4 small knobs of butter and mix.
- Pour the mixture in the pan and place into middle of oven.
- Cook for 1 hour until golden.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on top to decorate.
Let the cake stand for 20 mins before serving. Consume within 3 days.